Friday, March 6, 2015

Sunny Skies and Sunny Smiles


Ms. Jones, Head Start teacher, pictured with her students. 
Children’s Developmental Center, Amherst
Ms. Jones, AA-ECE,
Hired 1995
Ms. Shelly, BA-ECE
Hired 1994
Ms. Watkins, Family Service Worker, Hired 1998

My visit to the Children’s Developmental Center was my very first ever visit to that facility. So I took the opportunity to approach it from the viewpoint of a parent seeking Head Start services for the first time. My very first impression getting out of my car was one of being welcomed. There was a colorful, fenced play space that made me wish it was warm enough to be outside. The center is nestled in a somewhat wooded area and there was a woodpecker making quite a racket. I immediately envisioned teachers’ taking the children on short nature walks in the warmer weather.

Inside the building were wide hallways and plenty of windows. Children’s artwork was affixed to the glass and walls. I entered a room that was well equipped and well organized. The light blue walls reflected the sun pouring in the windows and many of the children were smiling. It was sunny skies and sunny smiles.

There was a parent in the room meeting with Ms. Watkins, the classroom’s Family Service Worker. Both teachers were working in small groups with the children. As a prospective parent, I would have been impressed and want to know more.

I stayed for about an hour and a half. Ms. Watkins was in and out of the room. There was a tornado drill that went off without a hitch. The Spanish teacher came and gave the weekly lesson. We also had structured learning and free play. Through it all, the teachers interacted with every child and children were consistently thanked for making good choices.  

Memorable Moment

I played with a magnetic construction set with one young boy. After about 20 minutes of play he wanted to know if I was in love with him yet. Both Ms. Jones and Ms. Shelly let me know he would ask me that question. I truthfully told him that I found him very lovable.     

What I Learned from Ms. Jones, Ms. Shelly and Ms. Watkins

The teamwork at CDC was so woven into how they interact that tasks were handed back and forth with very few words; the day’s lesson plans rolled seamlessly from one thing to the next. Even when activity levels rose, the tag-teaming kept everything on an even keel. There was a very high level of interaction among the children. They were clearly emulating what their teachers and family service worker do every day.  

Having seen the team in action, I can better envision details of that nature walk. Before taking the children out Ms. Shelly would read the children a woodland creature’s pop-up book from her personal library. Ms. Jones would make sure the children were asked thought-provoking questions during the walk. Not one child would be left out. Once back inside, Ms. Watkins would be right on hand checking in and helping as needed. 

Linking It Together

With the State of Ohio expanding services this year, thankfully, families have more choices. Families with young children are also leaving the county as work becomes available elsewhere. Those factors plus lower birth rates in some communities and transportation challenges, have resulted in space available in our Head Start classrooms. After more than seven years of being full with waiting lists, this is new for us.

Of course, I am biased about Head Start. I see how having developmentally appropriate learning, nurturing environments and supportive services to families make for a program that really does uniquely prepare children for school success. I cannot help but think that if we could get parents of young children, both those in center-based and home-based settings, to visit a classroom we would quickly make them Head Starters. “Come see for yourself” does not seem like a very compelling message. Maybe our new outreach slogan should be more along the lines of “Are you in love with us yet?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment