Friday, November 14, 2014

Power in Partnerships

Wellington Village Schools Collaborative Classroom – Westwood Elementary
Miss Fox – Hired 2002, BA-ECE
Miss Melissa – Hired 2000, AA- ECE
 
We are fortunate to have collaborative partners in our Head Start program. Those partnerships include three school systems:  Lorain City Schools, Elyria City Schools and Wellington Village Schools. This week I went to Wellington. For that partnership, we are hosted in two classrooms in Westwood Elementary. I was in Miss Fox and Miss Melissa’s room, but only got to spend time with Miss Fox.
 
Miss Melissa was covering in the other classroom for an absent teacher to whom we all send well wishes. Miss Katie, a Wellington Village Schools’ teacher, was the second teacher while I was there. Miss Katie is also a disability interventionist who works with the children with special needs in both preschool classrooms.

This week I did the start of the day. For the first half hour, I helped with daily setup. I enjoy that first half hour because you watch the room gradually prepare to receive children. At Westwood Elementary, children are received at the curb by the teachers. So they all file in together. Miss Fox made me part of the morning welcome which I particularly enjoyed. I got to interact with each of the children.

I enjoy watching each teacher’s approach to making learning fun. Miss Fox used name cards with first and last names. All the children read each name by sounding out the first letter of the first name. When children would start with the last name, she used it as an opportunity to reinforce that we read from left to right. Then she made sure to include sounding out the starting letter of the last name so that the children knew if what they had mistakenly called out was correct. A child’s name being identified was followed by a moment of recognition and going to hang up book bags and coats. You could tell how the children have progressed in knowing the letters in their name by what Miss Fox emphasized. There was elegance to it.

The children clearly knew classroom rules. Breakfast was orderly. Three year olds opening milk containers are serious. But the concentration gives way to smiles as spouts give way to determined fingers. I left shortly after breakfast. At that point, the children were taking turns brushing teeth.

Turkey pictures with scissor-cut feathers were on the lesson plan. I know this because I traced the feathers. I would have liked to have been there for the picture making. My daughter is grown. I haven’t had a hand-crafted turkey picture on my refrigerator for years. There isn’t anything store bought that is more festive.

What I Learned from Miss Fox

The joy Miss Fox takes in teaching makes being in her classroom energizing. Her approach to teaching twinkles. I do not know how else to describe it. When you look at the bright stars in the night sky as they interact with our atmosphere, you get a visual treat. Miss Fox is like that as she interacts with children. It is just fun to watch.

Memorable Moment

I was asked at breakfast to share my favorite number. The three children at my table all had one. After much consideration, it was recommended to me that I make “8” my favorite number. It is easy to write and has symmetry. My favorite number is now the highly-recommended number eight.

Linking It Together

Two years ago I was at a community meeting with Wellington Superintendent John Nolan when the idea of collaborating became the topic of conversation. It took almost a year to work out the details, obtain the necessary approvals and meet licensing requirements. It involved a team of people and continues to take the dedication of all involved. With Thanksgiving coming soon, I thank LCCAA staff for all they are doing in Wellington and thank those from Wellington Village Schools for working so well with us.

I am in Columbus next Friday and we are closed for the Thanksgiving holiday the following week. So this is my opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I am back in the classroom the first week of December.

No comments:

Post a Comment